Texas Holdem Rules
The number one poker game that is played on the net is Texas
Holdem. Most poker tournaments will be Holdem Tourneys since they
attract the most players. We list the basic rules and betting rounds
of the game for your convenience.
- Before the cards are dealt the 2 players immediately left of
the Dealer Button place a Big Blind and Small Blind in the pot to
start the game.
- All players are dealt 2 face-down (pocket) cards. The 'Pre-Flop'
betting round begins with the player left of the Big Blind folding
(leaving), calling (matching the size of the Big Blind) or raising
(depending on the limit of the game he will raise the bet).
- When the first betting round is over the Dealer turns over (or
deals) 3 Flop cards on the table. The Flop cards are community
cards that can be used by all players. The second round of betting
starts with the player closest to the left of the button, and
still in the hand. A player may now check
(not bet or fold) or bet if there has been no betting in front of them. If
there has been betting and/or raising in front of them, they may Call,
Raise, or Fold. This round is called 'The Flop'.
- Next round of betting is 'The Turn'. It starts after the
Dealer has turned over the 4th community card (the turn card).
- After the last community card (the river card) has been turned
over 'The River' betting round starts. This is the final betting
- In the 'Showdown' all remaining players turn over their cards
and the best poker hand (5 cards) chosen from the players 2 cards
and the 5 community cards wins. If at any point during the hand,
one player makes a bet that all others decline to call, the hand
is over immediately, and the player who made the final wager takes
the pot without the need to show his cards.
>> BetOnline Poker <<